Do you remember watching your mother or grandmother taking a warm loaf of banana bread out of the oven? I couldn’t wait until it was cool enough to eat.
This Orange and Olive Oil Loaf Cake brings back those memories for me.
This recipe is not as sweet as a typical cake you might have for dessert, so I hesitate to call it cake. It’s really more of a quick bread like zucchini bread.
This delicious, baked goodness, is soft and moist. It can be enjoyed in the morning with a cup of coffee, with afternoon tea, and can also pass as a nice desert.
Where is This Recipe From?
I have a friend who is a chef in Buenos Aires, Argentina. This Orange and Olive Oil Cake recipe came from her personal collection and showcases what a fresh ingredient like oranges can do in a wonderful, moist olive oil cake.
With ingredients like olive oil, orange juice, buttermilk, and whole wheat flour, a slice of this bread makes the perfect breakfast!
Orange and Olive Oil Loaf Cake
- 2 Eggs
- 2/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Orange (Navel or Blood) For Zest and Juice
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/3 cup Almond Flour or Ground Almonds
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1-1/3 cup Buttermilk or Full Fat Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Rolled Oats
- 1 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C)
Mix The Main Ingredients
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, olive oil, and sugar.
- Add the orange zest and mix well.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients.
- Stir in the orange juice and buttermilk.
- Pour the batter into an oiled loaf pan, lined with parchment paper. (This will aid in removing the bread from the pan.)
Mix the Topping
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients and mix with your hands until it becomes crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping over batter mixture.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes.
- To test doneness, tap your finger lightly in the center of the cake. It should feel firm and slightly springy to the touch.
Let it Cool
- Remove from over and et it cool in the pan on a rack for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and allow to cool completely.
- Top with a little powdered sugar and enjoy!
- For an extra-special treat, mix 1/2 cup chocolate chips into the batter just before pouring into the pan.